Friday 22 April 2011

4pm coffee call

She taught me to say “amma. She taught me to eat, to drink...the alphabets , the good from the bad....

Today as she lies on the bed, in her own world , a mute spectator to all that’s happening around her, we are trying to make her remember who she is. Her name. Our names. It makes me wonder.... How eager  she must have been just to hear me utter “amma” for the very first time ?

Between the 17th and 21st of March,  amma had 2 strokes. While the first one rendered her right side weak, the second one affected her left. Additionally, this has affected her motor skills and her memory. Her long term memory is quite intact- she picks up and recites any slokam irrespective of which line you recite to her. However, she is confined to the bed.

Most of us say “maa will call you back…on an important  call right now…..” and then thanks to the lifestyle we maintain, we just forget about that call….

Life really does not give us too many chances guys…...just lift that phone and make that call to your amma even if it means telling that colleague or client of yours that you will call them back !!!All she needs is 10 mins .....

Amma used to call me every day at 4 pm when she was sipping her coffee at home and me would then share some notes about that day sipping my hot coffee in office or wherever I was…..

For the past 3 and a half weeks, I have been waiting for amma to just call out my name by herself , but then I know the wait is going to be a long one  ….!

Life is strange and  stranger are the lessons it teaches us !

1 comment:

  1. So well expressed, Jeenu.
    "Life is strange and stranger are the lessons it teaches us" - So very true!
    Vijay anna.

    ReplyDelete